Ganesh Chaturthi or Vinayaka Chaturthi is a well-liked Hindu competition that celebrates the chook of Lord Ganesha. Large processions carrying a statue of Lord Ganesha is a standard observe on at the present time.
Ganesh Chaturthi 2020 Date
|Saturday||22 August 2020||Maharashtra, Goa, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, and Andhra Pradesh|
Ganesh Chaturthi Holidays 2021-2028
The next desk outlines the schedule of the Ganesh Chaturthi competition for the following 10 years:
|Friday||10 September 2021||Ganesh Chaturthi|
|Wednesday||31 August 2022||Ganesh Chaturthi|
|Tuesday||19 September 2023||Ganesh Chaturthi|
|Saturday||7 September 2024||Ganesh Chaturthi|
|Wednesday||27 August 2025||Ganesh Chaturthi|
|Monday||14 September 2026||Ganesh Chaturthi|
|Saturday||four September 2027||Ganesh Chaturthi|
|Wednesday||23 August 2028||Ganesh Chaturthi|
Ganesh Chaturthi / Ganesh Puja is majorly a nationwide competition, which is marked with the set up of Ganesh clay idols each publicly and privately. The competition celebrates Lord Vinayaka or Ganesh because the God of recent beginnings and remover of hurdles. Lord Ganesh is worshipped for prosperity and data.
History Of Ganesh Chaturthi
Ganesh can be identified by the names Heramba, Ekadanta, Ganapati, Vinayaka and Pillaiyar. Ganesh Chaturthi / Ganesh Puja is likely one of the broadly celebrated Hindu festivals within the nation. The blessings of this God are invoked at non secular ceremonies since he’s the one who can all difficulties to success, particularly when persons are commencing a brand new enterprise or an enterprise. Lord Vinayaka is named the fortune giver and one who can help to keep away from pure calamities. He’s additionally the patron god of touring. Vinayaka is portrayed with an elephant’s head on a human physique. In response to Hindu customs, Lord Ganesh is the son of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati.
How Is Ganesh Chaturthi / Ganesh Puja Celebrated?
In a couple of components of India reminiscent of Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh the competition of Ganesh is widely known for ten days. It’s a public event. Sweets are provided. On the day of the competition, clay idols of Vinayaka are put in in properties or outside in embellished tents for the general public to view and submit their homage. Clay idols of Ganesh are additionally put in by colleges and faculties.
Is Vinayaka Chaturthi a Public Holiday?
Ganesh Chaturthi just isn’t a public holiday throughout India. It’s a regional holiday that’s celebrated solely in sure states reminiscent of Maharashtra, Gujarat, Karnataka, and Andhra Pradesh. Even in these states, it isn’t obligatory for an employer to declare the Ganesha Pageant as a holiday.
Which States Celebrate Ganesh Chaturthi?
Ganesh Chaturthi/Chavithi is widely known with nice pomp and present in Maharashtra, Gujarat, Goa, and Karnataka. Different states that commemorate this competition are: Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Tamil Nadu, Odisha, Delhi, and Punjab.
What Rituals Are Observed for Vinayaka Chaturthi?
Although the competition is similar and has related connotations throughout India, every area has slight variations in rituals and traditions. The celebrations final between 7 and 10 days at totally different locations. A number of frequent observances are:
- Set up of Ganapati statue: A statue of the Elephant God is put in on a pedestal both at dwelling or in a public place with a pranprathishtha puja.
- Not wanting on the moon: On the primary night time of the competition, individuals keep away from wanting on the moon as a result of it’s thought of a foul omen.
- Prayers: Washing of the statue; puja with the chanting of shlokas and choices of flowers and sweets; and aarti, i.e. circumlocution of the idol with a plate stuffed with a lit earthern/metallic lamp, kumkum and flowers, is finished. Prayer conferences are additionally performed at Ganapati temples and public installations every single day within the evenings and in some locations, within the mornings as effectively.
- Particular performances: Some public installations of Lord Ganesh may also have performances with dance, music, and skits.
- Making and eating modak: Modak is believed to be Ganapati’s favorite candy. So, these dumplings are made and distributed as prasad through the competition. Different meals objects reminiscent of laddoo, barfi, pedha, and sundal are additionally distributed throughout this time.
- Visarjan: That is the immersion of the idol in a water physique and is performed on the final day – anyplace between the seventh and eleventh days – of the competition. It’s accompanied by a procession of individuals chanting bhajans and shlokas and songs, with the idol. Folks search forgiveness for the errors they’ve carried out to this point and request the god to assist them keep on the righteous path. Ganesha is thanked for visiting the house/locality, for being eradicating obstacles from individuals’s path, and for the auspiciousness he bestows.
The farewell procession, or Ganesh Visarjan, is the grand fruits of the competition. That is the celebration during which the put in idols of the god are immersed in a water physique. The immersion is perhaps carried out within the nearest pond, lake, river, or sea. Those that do not need entry to a big water physique may also do symbolic immersions in by dipping the idol in a small vessel or water barrel at dwelling.
The idol is taken from the place of set up – dwelling or public pandals – to the water physique in an enormous procession accompanied by devotees singing bhajans or songs. Relying on the dimensions of the idol, it might be carried on the shoulders of both the pinnacle of the household or a symbolic head of the world, or taken on a picket provider, or in a car.
All these proceedings are accompanied by chants of Ganapati bapa moriya, bhajans, dance, and distribution of prasad and flowers.
Why Are Ganesha Statues Immersed in Water on the Final Day of the Festival?
Ganesh Visarjan symbolises the tip of the competition in addition to the truth that every thing on Earth finally merges with a number of of the weather of nature. It additionally signifies the delivery cycle of Lord Vinayak – he was born from clay and returns to the weather in that kind. In literal phrases, he’s going again to his heavenly abode after staying along with his devotees for 7 to 10 days.
Destinations To Spend Ganesh Chaturthi Holidays 2020
The next is the highest 5 Indian locations to go to throughout Ganesh Chaturthi holidays 2020:
Mumbai: Mumbai, the capital metropolis of Maharashtra, celebrates the competition of Vinayaka Chaturthi with nice enthusiasm and zeal. Greater than 6000 idols are commissioned yearly. The competition is widely known nationally, however the most grandeur is witnessed within the metropolis of Mumbai. The celebration was promoted by Shivaji, the nice Maratha ruler. The favored Ganesh Pandals within the metropolis embrace Lalbaugcha Raja and KhetwadiGanraj.
Pune: Pune, the cultural capital of Maharashtra, hosts one the very best Vinayaka Chaturthi Celebrations within the nation. The competition is essentially the most joyful and colourful occasion within the cultural, non secular and social lifetime of Pune. The highest 5 idols in Pune comprise of Kasba Ganpati, Tulsi Baug, Kesariwada Ganapathi, Guruji Talim and Jogeshwari Ganapathi.
Hyderabad: Like Pune and Mumbai, Hyderabad, the capital metropolis of Andhra Pradesh, is likely one of the well-liked locations to witness the royal celebration of Ganesh Chaturthi. Kharitabad hosts one of many largest Ganesh idols within the nation. The Ganesh Utsav Committee in Kharitabad shall set up the largest Ganesh idol.
Goa: The competition of Ganesh holds a particular place within the hearts of the individuals of Goa, the smallest state in India. It’s an occasion of frolic and enjoyable. Furthermore, it shall carry a couple of reunification of households and mates. Varied service provider associations set up the idols of Lord Ganesh throughout the state.
Ganpatipule: Ganpatipule, a small metropolis, has a sequence of vantage factors and seashores providing some enticing views of the ocean. The Swayambhu Ganapathi Temple of Ganapatipule is famend for its distinctive idol of Lord Ganapati. This temple has been the middle of festivities.