Connect with us

World

War inflicts $19.6 bn in damages to Ukraine’s culture and tourism, says PM

Published

on

By

War causes $19.6 bn in losses to Ukraine's culture, tourism: PM

Ukraine’s ongoing war with Russia has resulted in significant losses of $19.6 billion to the country’s cultural and tourism sectors, according to Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal. At least 900 historical and cultural sites have been destroyed or damaged during the conflict.

Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal revealed on Thursday that Ukraine plans to establish a special register of the destroyed cultural and tourism facilities. This register will aid in determining the amount of compensation that the country can seek from Russia for the damages incurred.

Shmyhal stated that Ukraine will require $8.9 billion to restore the cultural and tourist sites that have been impacted by the war. The creation of the register will play a crucial role in the process of seeking restitution for the losses suffered by the country’s cultural and tourism sectors.

Advertisement

IANS, established in 1986, is India's largest independent news service, offering 24x7 news from India and South Asia, and a preferred source for diverse content across six business verticals.

World

Who was Joel Cauchi Who Killed the Millionaire’s Daughter, a Pakistani Man and 4 Others?

Published

on

Who was Joel Cauchi Who Killed the Millionaire's Daughter, a Pakistani Man and 4 Others?

The entire world wants to know who Joel Cauchi is, the 40-year-old man who went on a rampage and injured around 12 people and killed six others, reported TimesNow.

Who Was Joel Cauchi?

Joel Cauchi has been shot dead during an escalation that happened in a shopping mall in Sydney where he killed six people and injured a dozen others. 

He hailed from the state of Queensland, Australia and has been accused of the stabbing spree that occurred at a shopping center in Sydney. 

Advertisement

After a thorough investigation led by the law enforcement authorities and agencies, Cauchi’s identity emerged. However, authorities unveiled that Joel Cauchi “had encountered them in the past due to issues related to mental health.”

According to police, at the age of 17, Joel Cauchi was diagnosed with a mental ailment. 

Cauchi’s parents claimed that their son’s doings were “truly horrific.” They stated,

Advertisement

“We are still trying to comprehend what has happened. He has battled with mental health issues since he was a teenager.”

It is believed that a month ago Cauchi traveled to Sydney. According to police, he hired a small storage unit where he kept his personal belongings, including a boogie board. 

As per Joel Cauchi’s parents, their son had been living in hostels and a vehicle. Moreover, Cauchi’s parents added that he was in contact with the family only via text messages. 

Why Joel Cauchi Is In the News?

Until now, the exact reason behind Joel’s motivation to attack remains unclear, says Karen Webb, the New South Wales Police Commissioner. 

Advertisement

As per The Guardian, New South Wales (NSW) Police, while investigating the matter, said whether the suspect targeted women, but added it was an “obvious line of inquiry.”

Police added,

“Five other people – including four women believed to be aged between 20 and 55 and a man, aged in his 30s – who were in the center, died at the scene. They are yet to be formally identified. Twelve others – including nine women, two men and a 9-month-old child – suffering stab wounds, were treated by paramedics and taken to various Sydney hospitals.”

The tragedy took place on Saturday at Bondi Junction, a shopping center in Sydney in which Cauchi claimed the lives of six people. 

Advertisement

He attacked five women and a man, a security guard who intervened during the attack. Among the women, 25-year-old Dawn Singleton was a victim.

Moreover, the daughter of John Singleton, the Australian multi-millionaire, was another victim and the security guard was a 30-year-old Pakistani man, who was identified on Sunday.

Also Read: All About Australian Influencer, Leah Halton Who’s About To Break Records

Advertisement
Continue Reading

World

Johnson Controls subsidiary Tyco Fire Products to pay $750 mn to settle ‘forever chemicals’ lawsuit

Published

on

Johnson Controls subsidiary Tyco Fire Products to pay $750 mn to settle 'forever chemicals' lawsuit

Johnson Controls subsidiary Tyco Fire Products has settled a lawsuit and agreed to pay $750 million to some U.S. public water systems which charged the company of contaminating the water supplies with toxic “forever chemicals’ ‘ which was used in the firefighting foam made by the company.

However, the settlement will have to be approved by the federal judge before it could be utilized by public water systems in cities, towns to remove the contamination of per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances, or PFAS.

The settlement and the money which will be paid by the company does not constitute in any way an admission of liability or wrongdoing by Tyco, Johnson Controls which it made clear in its regulatory filing. It also added that a charge for the amount was recorded in the second quarter ended March 31.

Advertisement

Paul Napoli, an attorney for the water systems said,  “This settlement resolves claims involving contaminated drinking water and provides compensation critical to protecting our nation’s drinking water supplies and upgrading our water treatment infrastructure to deal with this new emerging threat,”

What Is PFAS And Why Is It Dangerous?

PFAS is an acronym for polyfluoralkyl substances which is a class of chemicals which finds wide use in a number of consumer and commercial products, including firefighting foams, non-stick pans and stain-resistant fabrics. However, the chemical has been designated as carcinogenic or a cancer causing substance. The chemicals have also been named as ‘forever chemicals’ because they remain unchanged in the body or nature for infinite periods.

Dozens of companies including Tyco are facing a slew of lawsuits which have been brought by water systems accusing them of contaminating water sources with PFAS pollution in a South Carolina federal court. The lawsuits alleged that the groundwater was polluted with PFAS after it was used in firefighting foams at firehouses and airports across the country. The lawsuits led to settlements which amounted to $11 billion between major chemical companies and U.S. water systems. The most recent settlement was between water systems and Chemours (CC.N),  Corteva (CTVA.N), and DuPont de Nemours (DD.N) last year for $1.19 billion.

Advertisement

 The latest lawsuit was being heard by U.S. District Judge Richard Gergel in Charleston and he also warned that the lawsuits on companies facing PFAS claims could threaten their very existence. The latest settlement which still needs the nod from Judge Richard Gergel will require Tyco to pay $250 million of the settlement by May, and the remaining $500 million six months after the court gives its preliminary approval.

Also Read: California mother files lawsuit against Tesla after her 2-year-old child starts Model X and runs over her

Advertisement
Continue Reading

World

13 people killed in a head-on collision in Bangladesh

Published

on

By

13 killed in head-on collision in Bangladesh

At least 13 people lost their lives in a tragic road accident in Faridpur city, Bangladesh, when a bus and a pick-up truck collided head-on in the Kanhaiyapur area. The incident took place on Tuesday morning, leaving several others injured.

Faridpur SP Mohammed Morsheed Alam confirmed the death toll, stating that 11 individuals died at the scene while two were pronounced dead upon arrival at a nearby hospital, as reported by The Daily Star. The accident occurred at around 7.30 a.m. when a bus heading towards Magura collided with a pick-up truck bound for Faridpur.

Unfortunately, all the deceased individuals were occupants of the pick-up truck. The exact cause of the collision has not been determined yet, and further details are still awaited.

According to the Bangladesh Road Transport Authority, a total of 122 people lost their lives and 195 others sustained injuries in road accidents during the week of April 8 to 14, coinciding with the Eid festival and Bengali New Year celebrations. Road safety remains a significant concern in Bangladesh, and efforts are underway to address the issue and prevent such tragedies from reoccurring.

Continue Reading

Trending