In order to obtain the best possible results, it is important to recover properly. The surgical procedure of gynecomastia can be controlled by the surgeon but the outcomes of the same depends totally on the patient. The following information can help in giving a real picture to someone who is supposed to undergo gynecomastia treatment soon.
What does gynecomastia treatment include?
The gynecomastia treatment includes two procedures- liposuction and gland excision surgery. Let’s have a look at both the procedures in detail.
- Liposuction- Liposuction is simply the surgical procedure to get rid of stubborn fat from the body which otherwise doesn’t shed with proper diet or exercises. There are various types of liposuction now available in the clinics of Delhi. However, the most effective type is the latest Vibration Amplification of Sound Energy at Resonance or VASER liposuction. Don’t mistake this as a weight-loss procedure but think of it as a body reshaping procedure. Ideally, the patient needs to maintain 30% of their BMI and not suffering from any health
condition. This may seem like a simple procedure but this is a major surgery that incurs some serious side effects.
- Gland excision surgery- This is primarily a chest contouring surgical procedure. The aim of the procedure is to remove any excess tissue from the chest to subside the swelling of the breasts. There can be some minor side effects but the results after this surgery are almost instantaneous.
How to prepare for gynecomastia treatment?
Before the surgery, complete all the necessary diagnostic tests such as blood tests, mammograms, etc that the doctor prescribes. Plan taking leave of absence from the work accordingly. Make arrangements in such a way that someone picks you up and drops you off on the same day of the surgery. Also, proper preparations can minimize the risk of side effects considerably.
- Stop smoking prior to 15 days of the surgery
- Quit the habit of drinking for at least 7 days before the surgery
- Stop taking any kind of blood-thinning medicines or anti-inflammatory drugs
- Do not take any vitamin supplements throughout the patient journey
Here are some questions to ask the doctor-
- After surgery, which medicines will be prescribed or given?
- After surgery, for how long the dressings/bandages will be there?
- When the stitches are removed?
- When should I go for a follow-up?
- When can I resume daily activities?
What happens during the gynecomastia treatment?
The gynecomastia treatment-liposuction and gland excision surgery- includes the following-
- Liposuction- The doctor starts with the administration of the anesthesia that helps to make the patient unconscious. The surgeons then make some incisions and put a saline solution from specific parts of the body. The doctor inserts small probes that emit ultrasound waves to break off the fat cells. After this, the doctor sucks out the liquified fat throughout a tube and closes the incisions with some surgical stitches and glue.
- Gland excision surgery- The doctor administers anesthesia before the surgery to sedate the patient. After this, the doctor makes several incisions in places where there can be minimal chances of scarring. Next, the excess tissue from the breasts and the surrounding area is removed to decrease the swelling and improve the chest contour. Once the procedure is complete, the surgeon closes the incisions with surgical glue or tapes.
What to expect after gynecomastia treatment?
After the procedure, the patient is able to see a more flattened chest immediately. The results become more visible once the swelling due to the incisions subsides. There will be dressings or bandages over the wounds. The doctor may ask to wear a compression garment for the next three weeks to minimize the swelling and to provide support to the chest contour during the recovery period.
In case the patient has not taken proper preparation before the treatment, the following additional side effects and complications develop-
- Allergic reactions to the surgical glue, topic preparations, surgical materials or injecting materials
- Risks to anesthesia
- Blood clots
- Asymmetrical breasts
- Irregular breast contour and shape
- Changes in nipple
- Numbness of the nipples temporary or permanent
- Damage to the deeper nerves, blood vessels, muscles, lungs
- Pulmonary complications
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Accumulation of fluids
- Chronic pain
- Slow healing of the wounds
- Visible scarring
How long does it take to completely recover?
On the basis of the patient’s physique, type of technology used, the volume of fat removed and the extent of the tissue removed, the actual duration of complete recovery can vary. The recovery period for gynecomastia treatment in Delhi, in general, varies from 4 to 6 weeks. In case there are instances of difficulty breathing, chest pain, rapid heartbeat, then seek medical attention immediately. For a complication-free recovery, follow the doctor’s specific instructions and visit for a follow up without fail.
When to expect to see results?
With time, the swelling after the surgery subsides and the scarring due to incisions fade. In order to get satisfactory results, you need to wait. The desired results take almost 3-6 months to become visible. In some cases, it can take more.
What to do to ensure that the results remain permanent?
To reiterate, follow the doctor’s specific instructions diligently so that the recovery is as complication-free as possible. Take all the prescribed medications at the designated time and change the dressings regularly. Meanwhile, the following tips will help you recover fast-
- Go for light walks for at least 15 mins to circulate blood flow.
- Neither drink alcoholic beverages nor smoke during the entire recovery.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes to prevent irritation of the wounds.
- Continue taking supplements only after consulting with the doctor.
- Do not itch the wounds at any cost.
- Take proper rest so that the wounds can heal fast.
- Keep yourself hydrated such that you drink plenty of water.
- Apply cold compresses to the chest whenever there is mild swelling.
Are the results permanent?
As long as the patient is willing to maintain a steady bodyweight and restrict using any steroids, medicines or drugs that are the reasons behind gynecomastia, the results of the gynecomastia will not change. Additionally, the patient needs to follow a healthy lifestyle that includes following a strict diet regimen and exercising regularly. With age, there can be changes in the hormonal balance such as low testosterone levels, which can also interfere with the results.
Gynecomastia surgery is major surgery. If you are equipped with the correct knowledge, it can help in achieving the desired and permanent results. When you know what to expect and what to do about it, it decreases the chances of going through the treatment again and avoid as much as complications as poss