According to the Hindu calendar, the Shravan month is one of the holiest months compared to all months. This is the fifth month of the Hindu calendar. But have you ever thought about why it was named Shravan? The Shravan Nakshatra is considered to govern the sky on Poornima or full-moon day; therefore, its names are derived this month from the Nakshatra. During this day, devotees offer Patram-pushpam & phalam-toyam to Shiva linga in Shravan.
The month of Shravan is synonymous with auspicious festivals & events. It is the best time to conduct all the auspicious events as most of the days of this month are promising for shubh aarambh (the new beginnings).
In this month, each Monday is celebrated as Shravan somvar across all the temples, with Dharanatra over the Shivling, bathing it with holy water and milk throughout the day and night. Let’s understand the dates and times of Shravan and the all-important Mondays!
Attract Good Luck With Your Personalised Horoscope On The Auspicious Day Of Shravan Month! – Talk To Astrologer Now!
Shravana Mass 2021 Dates
Sawan Somwar Vrat Dates for Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Chhattisgarh, Bihar and Jharkhand.
- Shravana Start date: July 25, 2021
- First Shravan Somwar Vrat: July 26, 2021
- Second Shravan Somwar Vrat: August 2, 2021
- Third Shravan Somwar Vrat: August 9, 2021
- Fourth Shravan Somwar Vrat: August 16, 2021
- Shravana End date: August 22, 2021
Sawan Somwar Vrat Dates for Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Goa, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.
- Shravana Start date: August 09, 2021
- First Shravan Somwar Vrat: August 9, 2021
- Second Shravan Somwar Vrat: August 16, 2021
- Third Shravan Somwar Vrat: August 23, 2021
- Fourth Shravan Somwar Vrat: August 30, 2021
- Fifth Shravan Somwar Vrat: September 06, 2021
- Shravana End date: September 07, 2021
The Significance Of Lord Shiva In Shravan Somvar
According to the Hindu legend, in the conflict between the Devas and the Asuras, poison emerged from the water. Lord Shiva drank all the poison to rescue the human race. This Lord Shiva did in the Shravan month. His body temperature rose considerably. Then Lord Shiva donned the moon on his own head, which decreased its warmth, and the pantheon of the Hindu gods began giving Gangajal to Shiva.
It is also said that Lord Indra wanted the temperature of Lord Shiva to drop, and hence he poured the rains excessively. That soothed him and eased him down. Since that time, Lord Shiva has honoured the month of Sawan. Water is poured over Lord Shiva during the month of Sawan, especially on Mondays. Shiva devotees remember this tragedy by presenting Shivalingams Ganga water at temples. Here is all you need to know about the rituals:
Shiv Puja Rituals On The Holy Shravan Month Somvar
As per the belief, it is said that it is straightforward to please Lord Shiva among all the Gods. Thus to attain his grace perform the rituals as given below.
- Wake up early in the morning and take a short bath on Sawan Somwar Day.
- You must then visit Shiv Mandir and or perform an authentic Rudrabhishek Puja in your own house with proper rituals.
- The bel leaves, datura, gangajal, and milk belong to this day’s puja materials.
- Offer on the Shivling Panchamrit and Bel Leaves.
- Besides that, provide Datura, Bhang, Chandan or Sandalwood, Rice, etc., to the people present at the event.
- Ghee-Shakkar offered it to Lord Shiva.
- Then pray and perform the Aarti.
- After the Puja is completed, distribute the Prasad.
Benefits Of Shiva Puja In The Shravan Month
Lord Shiva, the worship of the all-powerful divine almighty during Shravan, is manifested via various advantages for the devotees, including the accomplishment of spiritual cleansing. The misery or troubles produced by a planetary Doshas become neutral when the divine is worshipped by the blessings of Lord Shiva with the accounting for the essential components for his puja, such Real Rudraksha, honey, ghee, belpatra etc., according to the instruction given by a Pandit.
A Rudrabhishekam Puja, performed by experienced pandits, can help you get rid of incurable diseases, financial issues, and bad karma. It can also fetch you success with your career, business, and personal life. One of the most beneficial aspects of a
Rudrabhishekam Puja is the removal of doshas and malefic planetary combinations in your birth chart.
Similarly, performing a Laghu Rudra Puja to appease Lord Shiva can help you achieve inner peace, fulfil your desires. A Pathatmak Laghu Rudra Puja can also destroy evil and negativity from around you.
Sawan Somvar Vrat Katha In The Shravan Month 2021
According to the Skanda Purana, Sawan Vrat Katha goes like this; once, Goddess Sati made a dramatic decision to go against her father to marry Lord Shiva and to be by his side. She married him but gave up her life when she witnessed Shiva, her husband, humiliated at her father’s place. She was later reincarnated as Goddess Parvati, the daughter of Parvat Raj Himalayas and Naina. She carried out a severe penance and Tapasya at this birth all month long to reach him as his better half. As a consequence, she achieved her goals and came to Shiva as his adored partner.
That is why many people still follow this practice now, and single girls observe a fast for a spouse like Lord Shiva for sixteen consecutive Mondays (Solah Somvar).
Fasting Rules Of Sawan Somvar Vrat
- Sravan somvar is the most essential, and if you observe 16 Mondays, the Lord of mercy is supposed to bestow whatever your heart wants!
- The solah somvar vrat is extremely easy to follow. One must commit to following the vrat with pure heart and dedication for 16 Mondays. The vrat starts early in the morning with waking up and bathing. The puja samagri and the items needed for the puja are organised. You can then visit the temple to pray to god, or you can perform the puja at home. You must start to purify your idol by pouring water and arranging the essential elements of puja. Then decorate the idol or picture with diyas and flowers.
- Next, clean the altar and then light the lamp with gingelly oil. Then sing and give Lord Shiva devotion with flowers. Then you may finish the puja with betel leaves, almonds, coconut and a sweet dish.
- Next, you have to recite the 16 somvar vrat Katha and finish the puja with an arati. Then it is essential to light a candle near Lord Shiva at night. One must fast all day long or can eat prasad and fruit after a puja has been completed.
Sawan Vrat: Mantra
While fasting in the Shravan month, several devotees chant the mantra of “Om Namah Shivay” and Mahamrityunjaya Mantra to get rid of all the diseases.
You can also worship a Mahamrutyunjay Yantra to fend off the negativity from your life, evil, black magic, and even untimely death.
What To Eat & Not To Eat During Fasting In The Shravan Month
Fruit, fresh vegetables, sabudana, sendha namak, milk, and related products like curd, buttermilk can be devoured. However, some people consume one meal a day. Furthermore, meals cooked with salt, garlic, and onions must be avoided. Here is how it works:
Types of Fasts observed during the Shravan month.
Partial Fasting: In partial fasting, the devotees are allowed to eat fruits and foods like sabudana, nuts, etc. Some people also keep fast during the day and eat their meal at night.
Austere Fasting: In this kind of fasting, devotees do not eat anything during the day and only consume water. They break their fast after sunset by eating a meal that does not have onion and garlic.
Is Solah Somvar Vrat Effective
According to Shiva Purana, following this, Vrat contributes to the successful profession, business, connections and provides peace of mind, good health, longevity. The observation of this Vrat in the Shravan month helps defend against all the maladies and sickness. Moreover, those suffering from disagreement would enjoy peace and harmony when they observe this quickly in their marriage connection.
If there’s something that’s bugging you, you can always consult the pros! Ask an Expert today.
The Shravan month is the auspicious month and worshipping Lord Shiva on this day with full dedication and devotion helps one to attain peace and progress spiritually. Moreover, devotees receive the blessing of omnipotent Lord Shiva on this day. Everyone is going through an unprecedented time in the new normal. If you are also one of the unfortunate people, then remembering Lord Shiva in the holy Shravan month will certainly help you overcome the current scenario.
Your Accurate Personalised Astrology Predictions Are Just A Call Away – Talk To Astrologer Now!
With Ganesha’s Grace,
The GaneshaSpeaks.com Team
Astrologers trained by Shri Bejan Daruwalla.