The festival of Karwa Chauth has passed, now on 28 October, the festival Ahoi Ashtami will be observed. On Ahoi Ashtami, women keep fast for the long lives of their kids. According to Hindu Calendar, Ahoi Ashtami falls every year on the Ashtami of Krishna Paksha of Karthik Month, and this year (2021) it is falling on 28th October. On Ahoi Ashtami, women keep Nirjala Vrat for the whole day and in the night by worshipping Lord Ganesha and offering water to the stars, they break their fast.
As per the Vrat Katha of Ahoi Ashtami, Once upon a time in a city, a moneylender had 7 sons. A few days before Diwali, the wife of the moneylender went to take soil for smearing the walls of the house for the festival. As soon as the moneylender’s wife used a spade to dig the soil, the spade went into the porcupine’s burrow, and the child of the porcupine died. The moneylender’s wife was very remorseful on this, after a few days one of her sons died. After this, his seven sons died one-by-one. Due to this, the moneylender’s wife started living in mourning.
One day the moneylender’s wife narrated the story of her grief to her neighbouring women, on which the women advised her that half your sins have been cut by sharing your grief. They suggested her to keep the vrat on Ashtami, and make a picture of porcupine and its children and worship Mother Bhagwati and apologize. By the grace of God, your sins will be destroyed – one of the women said.
Hearing this, the moneylender’s wife started worshipping and fasting Ahoi Mata every year on the Ashtami of Kartik month. By the grace of Mata Rani, the moneylender’s wife became pregnant again and after many years she again had seven sons. Since then the practice of Vrat on Ahoi Ashtami is going on.
Ahoi Ashtami 2021 Date
The Tithi of Ahoi Ashtami will start from 12:51 PM, 28 October, and will end on 02:10, 29 October.
- On the day of Ahoi fast, wake up in the morning and take a bath and pray for the long life and happiness of your children, I am fasting for Ahoi Mata, make such a resolution.
- Also worship Goddess Parvati.
- For the worship of Ahoi Mata, draw a picture of Ahoi Mata on the wall with ocher as well as a picture of porcupine and her seven sons.
- Worship these pictures in the evening.
- After worship, listen and narrate the story of Ahoi Mata.
- Ahoi Mata Statue/Picture
- Pooja Roli, Akshat
- Shrifal to give to sons
- Makeup items for offering to mother
- fourteen puris and eight puas
- Rice bowl, radish, water chestnut, fruit
Ahoi Ashtami 2021 Shubh Muhurat
Auspicious time and Muhurta of worship for Ahoi Ashtami 2021 – from 05:39 PM to 06:56 PM.